A Knife, or known primarily as a Combat Knife or Fighting Knife is a cutting weapon designed for military use, specifically for close combat; however, since the end of trench warfare, most military knives have been primarily designed for utility/tool use (clearing foliage, chopping branches for cover, opening ammunition crates, etc.).
|Damage multipliers||*8x head (32)
|Rate of fire||120|
|Special feature(s)||Melee weapon|
The Knife is an all-kit weapon featured in Battlefield 1942. The Allied and Axis knives have different models, but are identical in terms of function and stats.
|Damage multipliers||*8x head (32)
|Rate of fire||120|
|Special feature(s)||Melee weapon|
The Knife is an all-kit weapon featured in Battlefield Vietnam. The Knife retains the same statistics as the Battlefield 1942 variant but features a drastically different design, being much larger, and held with the blade down and to the side, rather than upright. The Axis knife was also redesigned into the Machete.
World War II mod
The BF 1942 models of the knife appear in the Battlefield Vietnam WWII mod, with an Allied knife issued to the US Marines and an Axis knife issued to the Imperial Japanese Army. The Knife retains the same statistics however.
The Knife is an all-kit melee weapon featured in Battlefield 2. Unlike previous games, the Knife's model does not change between factions, and it can now kill in one hit. Offsetting its power is the fact that the player must be very close to the target for the attack to connect. As a result, the knife works best against unaware and stationary enemies, as mobile ones can be a challenge to deal with, especially if they have a ranged weapon drawn.
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
|Damage||High, one-hit kill|
The Combat Knife is a weapon featured in Battlefield 2: Modern Combat and is only issued to the Special Ops kit. There are three faction specific knives, but they all perform identically, being an instant kill up close. USMC and EU soldiers are issued the Randall Model 15 Knife, the Type 95 Bayonet is issued to the PLA, and the Kukri is issued to the MEC. The knives are high damage stealth weapons, capable of killing enemies in one hit. Like in Battlefield 2, the player must be very close to land the attack, so they still remains most effective against unaware stationary enemies.
The BJ-2 Combat Knife is an all-kit weapon featured in Battlefield 2142. It functions identically to the Knife in Battlefield 2, killing with a single hit with a very small range, but it now awards the player with the victim's dogtag upon a successful kill.
After fifty kills with the knife, the player earns the Dogtagger Dagger, a knife replacement with a set of dogtags attached to the hilt. The weapon is a cosmetic replacement, and functions identically to the BJ-2.
Battlefield: Bad Company
The Kniv-1 is an all-kit weapon featured in Battlefield: Bad Company. It can be utilized to destroy fences or wooden objects as well as to obtain an enemy's dog tag. The weapon kills in a single hit, but takes two strikes to kill a team mate.
The Knife is a weapon featured in Battlefield Heroes and is issued to the Commando class for both factions. Rather than bullet-like damage fixed on a crosshair, the knife inflicts splash-like damage, spread in an area in front of the wielder.
The Katana is a melee weapon featured in Battlefield Heroes.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
The Combat Knife is a weapon featured in Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
The knife is the first usable weapon in the game, and can be equipped upon three occasions. The first time is after the opening cutscene of Operation Aurora where the player loses their Thompson, the player pulls out the knife and kills a Japanese guard with it. Soon after, the player receives a Type 100 and the combat knife can no longer be equipped as a stand-alone.
The second time is at the beginning of the mission Upriver, when the player must use the combat knife to quietly take out a sentry at an outpost overlooking a Bolivian Militia base without raising the alarm. The third time it is used is in the beginning of Airborne, where the player is equipped with a combat knife again, this time in order to kill a Russian soldier.
The player immediately picks up the soldier's AKS-74U, however, and can no longer equip the knife as a standalone weapon. Throughout most of the campaign, the player can only use the knife in an attack sequence.
The Combat Knife is the standard melee weapon, usable by all kits. When using the knife on an enemy within its range, roughly five feet, it will cause the player to lunge forward against the enemy and perform a stabbing attack. An attack without an enemy target will instead cause the player to slash with the knife.
It will kill an enemy player in a single strike but the weapon can be heard when utilized as the player often yells and makes a distinct noise. Players can kill certain enemies in vehicles if they are in an exposed position.
The knife is also a useful tool for knocking away certain destructible barriers, such as windows, fences, barbed wire, wooden doors, wooden railings, and many other light physical barriers in the player's path.
When players knife an enemy player in the game, they receive that player's dogtag as an award. These appear as bronze, silver or golden dogtags, depending on the victim's rank, with their name written below them. There are also several awards related to knife kills which the player can acquire. The dogtags from all of a player's past victims can be viewed in the Main Menu, providing a running tally of how many individual dogtags players have acquired as well as player-specific ones.
Knives are all-kit weapons featured in Battlefield Play4Free. They cannot be equipped, similar to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, performing a slash animation when used. The knife always results in a one hit kill, providing the player with the "Close Quarters Kill" bonus for 20 points.
|Combat Knife||The Default Knife in Battlefield Play4Free||Default|
|Khukri Blade||Rank 30|
Knives are all-kit weapons featured in Battlefield 3, providing two ways to utilize them, the standard knife slash or the Knife Takedown method. The weapon can also be used in all three modes in the game (singleplayer, co-op, and multiplayer).
Knife attacks (whether quick or standard) can destroy chain link fences and window glass with a single blow, allowing passage through them (although there are some exceptions such as the Russian spawn building windows in Operation Metro).
|Knife||Standard issue combat knife based on the M9 Bayonet, the Knife is capable of quick, clean, silent kills when approaching a target from behind and claiming the victim's Dogtags in the process. Slash attacks from the front can be lethal with multiple attacks, however they will not result in Dogtag trophies.||Default|
|Machete||Utilized by Dimitri Mayakovsky.||Only available in Singleplayer|
|ACB-90||Advanced Combat Blade model 90 is a heavy duty combat blade with a razor sharp edge, partly serrated and complete with a gut hook at its tip. This premium piece of equipment allows for quick, clean, silent kills when approaching a target from behind and claiming the victim's Dogtags in the process. Slash attacks from the front can be lethal with multiple attacks, however they will not result in Dogtag trophies.||Permanently replaces the default knife||Exclusive to Premium|
Melee weapons are greatly expanded in variety in Battlefield 4, though they all function identically. Against infantry, knives now exclusively perform Knife Takedown attacks, with slashing attacks limited to destruction of enemy gadgets or obstacles. Takedowns can be performed at all angles including in water. Knife attacks from the front whilst standing can now be countered if the players hit the melee button within a period of time.
Battlefield 4 features a total of nine different knives to choose from in the base game as well as seven exclusive knives, all featuring the same statistics and function, and each with its own kill count.
|Bayonet||Standard issue USMC M9 bayonet for melee combat. Use it in melee combat to steal enemy dogtags.||Default|
|Shank||Improvised prison melee weapon to take down enemies in close quarters and steal their dogtags.||An improvised prison shank.||"Fang of the Underworld" assignment.|
|Machete||Dima's Spetsnaz Machete, take down an enemy with this melee weapon to steal their dog tags as a trophy.||A Russian Spetsnaz Machete, as used by Dima in Battlefield 3.||"A Trapped Wolf Will" assignment.|
|ACB-90||Battlefield Veteran knife with added gut-hook to take out an enemy in melee and steal their dog tags.||Veteran Battlepack|
|Bowie||A well-known fighting knife with a long blade sharpened on both sides near the tip. Use it to steal an opponent's dog tags, and clean the carcass afterwards.||Battlepack item|
|Carbon Fiber||Lightweight and quiet, use this sleek knife in melee combat to steal dog tags from your opponent.||Battlefield Premium member|
|Scout||Traditional Swedish Scout knife in laminated steel. Can be used in the field to steal an enemy's dogtags.||Battlepack item|
|Survival||Handy blade to have out in the battlefield. Use it in melee combat to steal the dogtags of your enemy.||Battlepack item|
|Trench||Modern Trench Knife equipped with a knuckle duster style hand guard for stealing enemy dogtags.||Premium Battlepack|
|Boot||A short dagger carried inside a boot or strapped to a leg. This backup blade comes in handy opening a stubborn ration pack or relieving an enemy of his dog tags.||Battlepack item (only with Second Assault)|
|SEAL||This knife has passed one of the most rigorous evaluation programs in the world. It can be relied upon to swiftly and cleanly steal enemy dog tags while retaining its razor sharp edge.||Premium Battlepack|
|Improvised||Sometimes you need to make your own blade for when things get down and dirty. Utilize this make-shift weapon in melee to steal your enemy's dogtags.||Battlepack item|
|Dive||Crafted to withstand the harshness of the deep sea. An indispensable tool in any diver's kit. Use it in melee combat to steal your enemy's dogtags.||Battlepack item (only with Naval Strike)|
|Tactical||The recurve design of this blade extends its cutting edge and adds extra bite when slicing through objects or stealing an enemy's dogtags.||Battlepack item (only with Naval Strike)|
|BJ-2||A knife designed for the battlefields of the future. That doesn't mean you have to wait to get your hands on it. Use it to steal your enemy's dogtags today!||The BJ-2 Combat Knife from Battlefield 2142.||Battlefield Premium member|
|Precision||Machined from a single piece of steel, this lightweight dagger is a solid choice for stealing your enemy's dogtags.||Battlefield Premium member|
|Neck||A small knife usually carried in a sheath worn around the neck on a breakaway chain. Readily available and easy to deploy, use it to steal your enemy's dogtags.||Battlepack item (only with Dragon's Teeth)|
|Inventory slot||Melee weapon|
The Knife is a weapon featured in Battlefield Hardline. Unlike past installments, it is not the default melee weapon and must be purchased for $138 in order to use. The weapon itself functions similar to its Battlefield 3 counterpart, allowing players to perform slash attacks on enemies for 50% damage per hit, as well as Knife Takedowns.
- The files for the ARVN and US military knives are the same as those used by the allies' knife in Battlefield 1942, with a different model. The axis combat knife still exists in the game files, but goes unused, replaced by the NVA and Viet Cong melee weapons.
Battlefield 2/Battlefield 2142
- Bots will draw the Knife and attempt to stab the player if they get too close, and won't pull out another weapon until the player is dead or a significant distance away.
- Both the BJ-2 and Dogtagger Dagger are both made of titanium, according to the "TITANIUM BLADE" text on both knives.
- The blade of the BJ-2 reads "DOGTAG FETCHER 88", suggesting this may have been its original name.
- Likewise, the blade of the Dogtagger Dagger reads "DOGTAGGER DAGGER - M2000".
- Although not directly visible in the viewmodel, the Dogtag Dagger's textures show that the dog tags on the knife belong to Demize99, the username of DICE gameplay designer Alan Kurtz.
Battlefield: Bad Company
- It is possible to cut down small trees with the knife.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- This is the first Battlefield game where the player does not wield the knife as a weapon—it now functions more as a melee attack option. The player just uses the knife then puts it away instantly, returning to wielding the previously equipped item. The only exceptions of this are the beginnings of Operation Aurora and Airborne.
- A glitch can occur when the player is climbing a ladder. If the player starts climbing in mid-slash, they will equip the knife after reaching the top.
- An update reduced the lunge distance for the combat knife.
- Occasionally, after slashing with the knife, the player character may hold their knife for a few seconds the same way as in the mission Operation: Aurora, usually during a small lag spike.
- The takedown animations during alpha were considerably longer. DICE switched to shorter animations that incorporate the removal of the victim's dogtags, and keep the first-person view steadier so the player is more aware of their immediate surroundings.
- Mortar users are immune to takedown attacks—vehicle operators cannot be taken down, and the mortar is considered a vehicle for gameplay purposes. It is possible to provoke the user into exiting the mortar, although there is a slight risk of being struck by an outbound smoke mortar (the regular HEDP mortar round does not inflict damage until it falls).
- There is a glitch that occurs when performing a takedown on a victim looking downsight, where the victim's cutscene is shown in magnification equal to the optics on his gun.
- A complicated glitch allows players to teleport to an arbitrary point above certain maps after performing a takedown, with enough height to safely parachute down.
- The ACB-90 knife given to Battlefield Premium users is based on the United Cutlery M48 Kommando Survivor Knife.
- Battlelog tracks knife swings under "shots fired".
- It is possible to score a headshot with the quick knife attack, which can kill an enemy with full health.
- A glitch introduced after one of the 2012 patches limited the number of consecutive takedowns to one, causing players to not attack for up to five seconds. It has since been patched in the October 11th server update.
- If caught in a takedown from certain angles, it is possible to counter the attempt with a Quick Knife attack. Certain animations will place the attacker's body in the victim's crosshairs, allowing the victim's knife attack to kill the attacker if already weakened below 50 health. A few of these even hit the attacker's head, permitting a headshot (2× 50 damage). Takedowns from behind cannot be countered, nor can takedowns on crouching victims.
- It is possible to score a simultaneous double kill with the knife. This may either be a case of latency causing both enemies to be caught in a takedown, or the "shot" from the takedown on one enemy also striking the second enemy.
- Due to latency, it is possible to stab somebody and die during a specific frame, granting the person a suicide with the Knife.
- The Machete is featured on the cover art of Battlefield 3: Aftermath, however does not appear in the expansion pack.
- In the singleplayer, the Bayonet knife is standard throughout nearly all missions, only replaced once with a Shank given by Dima to Recker in Kunlun Mountains.
- The HUD animates the display of dog tags taken from enemies.
- Players cannot counter knife if they are prone when a front knife takedown is performed on them.
- Players who are operating equipment (Ex: mortar, SUAV, EOD bot) can not have knife takedowns preformed on them.
- Sometimes when a player attacks from the front with a knife, it will play a side knife animation. This can still counter this and it will result in the front counter animation.
- Every single knife's description references the ability to steal enemies' dogtags.
Battlefield 4: Countdown to War
- Kovic attempts to kill Tsu with a shank, but fails, with the result of the weapon falling off the mountain they're on.
- Irish gives Kovic a KA-BAR knife during the latter's extraction from the Zhi Yu tower.