Austria-Hungary (German: Österreich-Ungarn or Donaumonarchie; Hungarian: Osztrák–Magyar Monarchia or Ausztria-Magyarország)—also known by other names and often referred to as the Austro-Hungarian Empire in English-language sources—was a constitutional union of the Austrian Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary that existed from 1867 to 1918, when it collapsed and as a result was defeated in World War I.
They fought against Russian, Serbian and Italian troops during the war.
The armed forces of Austria-Hungary appear in Battlefield 1.
The faction is the main opposing force during the campaign chapter Avanti Savoia. There are several types of soldiers, using specific weapons and wearing specific uniforms. These types are:
- Rifleman - They look similar to the Multiplayer Medic, minus crutches on their back. They use Gewehr M. 95 (Infantry).
- Assault - They look identical to the Multiplayer Assault and use a Hellriegel 1915. There is another, very rare, variant of Assault. They wear a Gaede helmet and use an MP 18 (Factory).
- Support - they look similar to Multiplayer Support, but they wear a Berndorfer Helmet instead of full-face helmet. They use Madsen MG (Light Infantry variant) .
- Scout - They look identical to Multiplayer Scout and use Gewehr M. 95 (Infantry).
- Flame Trooper - They look identical to the Multiplayer one and use the same Wex flamethrower all Flame Troopers use.
- Sentry - They have a unique look, because they wear an unidentified Austrian helmet (the same as MP Support) instead of an armored mask. They use the MG 08/15.
- Officer - About three of them appears when the player reaches Ferro Fortress. They use a P08 Artillerie. Officers use randomly-generated character kits.
Austria-Hungary is one of six factions appearing in the base game of Battlefield 1. They appear with German field grey (feldgrau) tunics and trousers, and are equipped with German styled leather equipment such as Gewehr 98 ammunition pouches and the Y shaped equipment strap. In their appearances in the In The Name Of The Tsar expansion, they wear more historically accurate blue uniforms with red piping.
Their main headwear is the M1917 Berndorfer Helmet, worn by the Assault and Medic classes. However, the Scout is seen wearing the Austrian Bergmütze cap, while the Support wears a full-face helmet. Their armored vehicles are adorned with the coat of arms of Austria-Hungary on the front and flank.
The Austro-Hungarian army fight in the Italian Theatre against the Royal Italian Army, both in the mountainous north and coastal east of the country, as well as on the Eastern Front against the Russian Army in Battlefield 1: In The Name Of The Tsar expansion maps, ranging from the mountainous Carpathians, their forests, and the fields below them.
| Kingdom of Italy|
| Russian Empire|
- In multiplayer, the flag used is actually that of the Habsburg Monarchy (adorned with Austria-Hungary's coat of arms), prior to the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867, which lead to the formation of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. A likely reason for this could be that the civil ensign (which was not a true national flag) commonly associated with Austria-Hungary could be mistaken with the national flag of the Kingdom of Italy.
- The voiceovers for the Austro-Hungarians are the same as the Imperial German Army, with a few changes here and there.
- Oddly, the uniforms worn by Austro-Hungarian troops in the game are the exact same as those worn by the Imperial German Army with minor changes. Historically, the two empires wore drastically different uniforms with very little similarity, and the standard pike grey (hechtgrau) color for Austro-Hungarian uniforms is bluer than the field grey (feldgrau) uniforms worn by both the Imperial German Army and the Austro-Hungarian Army in Battlefield 1.
- The self voice-overs for the Austro-Hungarian Army and Imperial German Army are provided by Louis Friedemann Thiele.
- While the Austro-Hungarian Cavalry kit cannot be accessed and used normally in the vanilla game, their models can still be seen by deploying as Cavalry for the Italian Army (Empire's Edge Operations) and switching teams afterwards. The model for the Austro-Hungarian cavalry will show up on the customization screen for a short moment before the game switches to another class.
- With "Standard Issue Rifles" enabled, the Austria-Hungary faction is issued the Gewehr M. 95.