Battlefield VietnamEditNorth Vietnamese Army. It has space for two players: one driver and one gunner. Its main feature is its exceptionally effective armament, a multiple rocket launcher that the gunner uses. It can fire 10 rockets per reload, with a total of four reloads, at a rate of around 120 rockets per minute. Each rocket is equivalent in power to a rocket from a LAW, RPG-2, or RPG-7, and can cause devastating damage against almost any target. However, the disadvantage of using the BM-21 is its extremely light armor, meaning it can be destroyed in one tank shell or rockets. Its rocket launcher also has a high recoil, throwing off the player's aim by at least 15° with each shot, making constant firing largely ineffective and inaccurate at long range. As well, the reload for its rockets is very slow, taking nearly ten seconds to be ready to fire again. However, when used by a skilled gunner, the rockets can be effective against helicopters.
Driver and Gunner
Zoom Optics (4500 points)
|2nd passenger weapon||
122 mm M-21OF rocket
|2nd passenger weapon ammunition per reload||
6× Standard missile
|2nd passenger alternative weapon|
Proximity Scan (1600 points)
Thermal Camo (5500 points)
In Battlefield 3, the BM-21 is used by the PLR and RGF forces as seen in Single Player mode firing rockets at the aerial US forces. The player encounters, and destroys them at a firebase camp in the mission Thunder Run, as well as appearing in Rock And A Hard Place, while not being used as the Russians did not have time to prepare them to combat
In multiplayer, the BM-23 appears in Armored Kill as the Russian artillery vehicle. The USMC counterpart is the M142 HIMARS. The vehicle can only hold one person, but has two seats. The operator must switch between the driver and gunner positions, preventing use of weapons while moving.
The BM-23 is slightly more nimble than its American equivalent, but has a large windscreen that exposes the driver to small arms fire.
Its main weapon system is a turret capable of swiveling 360° and firing six rockets in one salvo. The minimap can be expanded to show the impact areas, much like the behavior for the M224 Mortar after the matching patch. On level ground it has a minimum engagement distance of about 100 meters, and a maximum of about 700. The targeting reticule roughly corresponds to 50 meter increments, starting with 100m at the top and 400m at the bottom. Adjustments must be made when attacking other elevations, and when stationed on a slope.
Although the BM-23's model clearly has a 40-missile rack, it operates exactly like the M142 with its six-missile capacity.
A quirk in the projectile behavior allows them to pass through objects shortly after launch, reducing the risk of the operator injuring himself if firing near cover.
Although not equipped with close-range weapons, the Proximity Defense specialization surrounds the vehicle with smoke that can kill infantry and destroy enemy equipment at close range. Otherwise, the operator is vulnerable even to small arms fire through the windshield. The player can turn the vehicle away from anticipated enemy routes, but there is a delay as the weapon system must be turned towards target.
The specializations available to mobile artillery vehicles focus mainly on alternate weapons and threat minimization:
- IR Smoke - 400 points
- Autoloader - 800 points
- Proximity Scan - 1600 points
- ATACMS Missile guided weapon for engaging other ground vehicles - 2500 points
- Maintenance - 3500 points
- Zoom Optics - 4500 points
- Thermal Camo - 5500 points
- TOW missile system for engaging targets by wire-guidance - 7000 points
- Proximity Defense for killing infantry at close range - 9000 points
- Air-Burst Missile for focus on infantry - Rocket Specialist assignment
- Anti-Air Missile for focus on air vehicles - Anti-air Support
- In Battlefield 3, if a Javelin missile hits the vehicle, it will always kill the driver, regardless of where it strikes.
- Console players have to use their "Pause" map in order to observe impact sites, compared to PC players simply having to expand their minimap without having to pause.
- Despite being modeled with 50 rocket tubes, the BM-21 can only fire 6 standard missiles or 2 airburst missiles.