Battlefield 3: Aftermath is the fourth expansion pack available for Battlefield 3. It was revealed in a fact sheet pertaining to Battlefield Premium on May 30, 2012. At E3, the developers announced that it would take place in the aftermath of a magnitude 8.1 earthquake, the epicenter of which took place 170 miles southeast of Tehran, Iran.
Set amongst the shattered districts, streets and cities of post-earthquake Iran, Aftermath depicts a continuing struggle for supremacy and survival amongst the devastation.
- Four new maps
- Maps include terrain damaged by the earthquake
- Heavily modified military and civilian vehicles
- New "Scavenger" game mode
- New assignments
- New dogtags
- New achievements and trophies
- New character models to fit in the 'earthquake aftermath' setting
- The XBOW
On September 28, 2012, a video, titled Exclusive Aftermath Footage, was released. The video is mainly a teaser trailer for the expansion pack, since viewers are not seeing much of it from the trailer itself. It first shows off ending gameplay of the Battlefield 3: Fault Line Gameplay Trailer, with the building falling down in front of Blackburn as an earthquake happens. Afterwards, viewers are shown clips of the map Epicenter as they hear a line from the beginning of the campaign mission Uprising.
On October 30, 2012, another video, titled Exclusive Aftermath Gameplay, was released. The video shows off gameplay of the XBOW, the new gadget from the DLC, in all of the expansion pack's maps. Viewers get to see gameplay of the XBOW in action, along with the four bolt types it can use.
On November 23, 2012, one more video, also titled Exclusive Aftermath Gameplay, was released. The video shows PC gameplay on all four of the maps coming out on the expansion pack on its exclusive game mode Scavenger.
- The earthquake was felt across the Iran-Iraq region, the epicenter of which was 350 miles away from Sulaymaniyah, Iraq (Operation Swordbreaker) and 170 miles southeast of Tehran, Iran.
- Unlike the maps of the base game and other expansions of Battlefield 3, the letters for the maps of Aftermath in the server browser are not in all capital letters.
- The cover art for the expansion was originally intended for the End Game expansion