Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand is the first downloadable content (DLC) for Battlefield 3. It is available to anyone who purchased Battlefield 3: Limited Edition as well as the Premium members at no extra charge. PlayStation 3 players were able to access it a week before Xbox and PC players. EA was sued because they stated users that pre-ordered Battlefield 3 would recieve a free copy of Battlefield 1943, but they were not given this, so in return they gave all users access to Back To Karkand if they pre-ordered Battlefield 3 or purchased the Limited Edition at stores.
- Four of the most popular maps from Battlefield 2 re-created for Frostbite 2.
- Three Vehicles from Battlefield 2, along with one new.
- Ten Weapons from Battlefield 2.
- Five unique Dogtags
- Unique Rewards, Achievements/trophies, and More.
- Enhanced Destruction
- Conquest Assault
- Ten Assignments
Back to Karkand was first announced back in March-April, anyone who pre-ordered the Limited Edition of Battlefield 3 will get the expansion pack for free and later anyone who pre-ordered the Physical Warfare pack also got the expansion pack free.
Before the release of Battlefield 3, when it was revealed that PlayStation users would not be getting their free copy of Battlefield 1943 with the game, EA and Sony did a new deal where it was announced that the PlayStation 3 would be getting the Back to Karkand DLC one week early. This caused some discontent from gamers on the Xbox 360 and PC platforms. However, due to a class-action lawsuit being filed against EA for not supplying Battlefield 1943 to PS3 owners as promised, they gave it to PS3 owners for free after its release.
Back to Karkand has received positive reviews from game industry critics. On Metacritic, the expansion pack has metascores of 86 for PC based on 9 reviews and 83 for both PlayStation 3 (based on 8 reviews) and Xbox 360 (based on 7 reviews). On GameRankings, the expansion pack has scores of 80.80% for PC based on 5 reviews, 90.00% for PlayStation 3 based on 2 reviews and 84.00% for Xbox 360 based on 5 reviews.
- Wake Island has either three or five control points for consoles and five for PC, Sharqi Peninsula and Strike at Karkand has five control points for consoles and seven for PC. Gulf of Oman has a maximum of four flags for consoles and seven for PC.
- This expansion pack brings 3 variants of the same weapon, the QBZ-95B (carbine variant), the QBB-95 (LMG variant) and the QBU-88 (sniper rifle variant). However, it does not bring the original QBZ-95 assault rifle variant
Strike at KarkandEdit