The British Army is the land warfare branch of Her Majesty's Armed Forces in the United Kingdom. It was first formed in 1707, unifying the English and Scottish armies into the army of Great Britain. For many years, the British Army was a symbol of the power of the British Empire during the colonial era, and as such comprised many foreign soldiers, originating from these colonies. Entering the modern era, the British Army fought as one of the primary Allied armies in both World Wars.
The British Army was involved in many key campaigns in World War II, including North Africa, South East Asia and the invasions of Italy and France in 1943 and 1944 respectively.
In Battlefield 1942, the British Army fights the Afrika Korps in historical battles of the North African front. It is one of the two British factions in the game, the other being the Royal Air Force. British soldiers wear desert uniforms and Brodie helmets. It uses identical infantry equipment as the United States Army.
- Afrika Korps
Kits and WeaponsEdit
- Combat Knife
- Submachine gun
Battlefield 1942: The Road to RomeEdit
In Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome, the British Army fights the Royal Italian Army (RIA) in historical battles of the Italian theater. They use the same beige uniforms as in the North African front. The medic kit's Thompson is replaced by the Sten in the expansion. All other features remain the same.
Battlefield 2: Special ForcesEdit
- Main article: Special Air Service#Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2: Euro ForceEdit
The subject of this article is a recent or unreleased addition to a Battlefield game. It may contain speculation or errors.
Have new, relevant information to add? Why not help out?
The military of the British Empire is featured in Battlefield 1.
British and Commonwealth personnel feature prominently in the campaign of Battlefield 1, appearing in the chapters Storm of Steel, Through Mud and Blood, Friends In High Places, Nothing Is Written and The Runner.
In the prologue chapter Storm of Steel, British tanks and aircraft support the US counterattack in the first mission, and succeed in breaking the German spearhead before running into intense resistance from enemy field guns. The player briefly takes control of the left-side gunner of a Mark V tank before it is destroyed by shellfire.
In Through Mud and Blood, the player assumes the role of Danny Edwards, a fresh volunteer assigned as a driver in the the Royal Tank Corps, who participates in the British offensive near Cambrai in fall 1918.
In The Runner, ANZAC and British forces are featured assaulting the Ottoman-held coastline at Gallipoli.
Singleplayer British soldiers use mainly randomly generated uniforms and weapons. There are several types of British troops:
- Rifleman - the most common type of soldiers. They wear randomly generated uniforms. Majority of them wear standard khaki uniform and a Brodie helmet (sometimes with khaki material, like multiplayer Assault). Some riflemen appear to be ANZACs, wearing darker uniform and slouch hats. Riflemen use randomly generated weapons, which are SMLE MKIII (standard rifle), M1903 Experimental and M1907 SL (rare).
- Assault - very rare type. They look similiar to MP Assault and use Model 10-A shotguns. They can be sometimes seen in The Runner and Through Mud and Blood, clearing the trenches.
- Support - they look identical to MP support class and use Lewis Gun.
- Scout - one of them is seen in The Runner, near Whitehall outpost, shortly after Bishop becomes the runner. He looks similiar to MP medic (he's Indian/Sikh) and uses SMLE MKIII with scope. He'll cover player with sniper fire if he gets into trouble.
- Officer - they are seen only in several cutscenes and use M1911. They wear similiar to MP Cavalry.
British soldiers in singleplayer use Clubs as their melee weapon.
The British Empire is featured as one of six factions in the base game of Battlefield 1, as part of the Allies along with Italy and the United States. They are outfitted with the woolen khaki service dress and beige cotton webbing of the era, in addition to the distinctive Brodie Helmet worn by the Assault, Scout and Support classes, and turbans worn by the Medic, who is apparently recruited from India. The Support also wears the Wilmer model eye defense, a metal visor that protects the eyes from shrapnel.
The British Army appear on both the Western Front, fighting mainly in France, where they are opposed by the German Empire, and in the Middle-Eastern theatre, where they face the Ottoman Empire for control of Mesopotamia and the Sinai Peninsula--the location of modern-day Egypt, Syria and Iraq.
- In vanilla Battlefield 1, the United Kingdom appear on more maps in multiplayer than any other faction.
- The shoulder insignia of the British soldiers in Battlefield 1 appears to read "RAILWAY B 17".
- The Medic class appears to be a Sikh soldier. Historically, Sikh troops were never deployed in mixed units along with white soldiers in the British Army. Their uniforms also differed to those worn by regular British troops.