|This article is a stub. It is short and in need of expansion. Why not help out?|
— In-game description
Coastal-Class Airships were a type of dirigible used during World War I to patrol coastlines, protect naval convoys and perform anti-submarine warfare.
The French Astra-Torres airship designed by Spaniard Leonardo Torres Quevedo was also purchased by Japan and Britain. The British would copy much of the design to create their own C-Class. Armament varied from Lewis Guns for general protection, the Lee-Enfield rifle (for anti-mine operations), to bombs and depth charges for anti-submarine use.
— Official website description
The C-Class is a smaller recon blimp which can dive and ascend, at shallow angles; A luxury that the L30 cannot do, whose altitude is controlled automatically. Its flight ceiling is also comfortably high, but can also drop low, with its gondola occasionally disappearing beneath the ocean for short moments.
Unlike other aircraft, the vehicle won't take damage from collisions with the scenery yet, enemy infantry can still be harmed by impact against its control surfaces.
The airship does not share a spawn with any other class of vehicles, meaning there is always a maximum of one per team. Infantry are given a generous entry zone of 50 meters around the airship.
The airship is a large target, especially against AA guns (on the ground, on destroyers, on the Dreadnought, or even on the enemy airship) and airplanes with the most dangerous threats being those equipped with rockets (The Fighter's Bomber Killer and the Attack Plane's Airship Buster), which can inflict devasting damage. When destroyed, the envelope will emit a few small explosions, followed immediately by a bigger explosion that can be heard across the map. The remaining fuselage will then fall to the earth or into the ocean and despawn over a short period of time.
The C-Class makes an excellent bullet sponge due to its endurance, but bringing it to low altitudes could risk bringing sniping weapons or anti-vehicle munitions towards the crew or cabin. Because the airship is a faster and more agile target, cunning pilots can physically use its size to smash enemy planes out of the sky or even ram the enemy airship, depending on how much damage it has sustained beforehand.The Raider Package makes a great naval asset for ridding enemy destroyers or torpedo boats, especially when defending the Dreadnought behemoth that spawns on the map.
At present, two vehicle packages are available:
- Observer Airship Package: Provides driver with the Dreadnought Barrage ability, Fragmentation Bombs, and the Spotting Camera.
- Raider Airship Package: Provides the driver with the Dreadnought Barrage ability, Demolition Bombs, and Naval Mines.
- Sandbags can be seen hung on the bottom of the gondola. The sandbags are dropped when the airship tries to gain altitude. The sandbags respawn while the airship is not ascending or descending.
- In Air Assault, the airship does not take damage from bullets. This makes it immune to the machine gunners on top of the Zeppelin. However, bombs dropped by the airship cannot damage the Zeppelin (although naval mines can).
- Due to an oversight, naval mines set off in Air Assault create a pillar of water.