Carcano is the frequently used name for a series of Italian bolt-action, magazine-fed, repeating military rifles and carbines. Introduced in 1891, this rifle was chambered for the rimless 6.5×52mm Carcano cartridge. It was developed by the chief technician Salvatore Carcano at the Turin Army Arsenal in 1890 and called the Modello (model) 91 or simply M91. Successively replacing the previous Vetterli-Vitali rifles and carbines in 10.35×47mmR, it was produced from 1892 to 1945. The M91 was used in both rifle (fucile) and shorter-barreled carbine (moschetto) form by most Italian troops during the First World War and by Italian and some German forces during the Second World War.
— In-game description
The Carcano M91 Carbine is, despite the name, actually a Trench variant, the second of the type in the game after the Russian 1895 Trench; it is also the only variant of the Carcano. The name Carbine is a reference to the rifle's real life trait of being a shortened version of a rifle, rather than a Battlefield 1 variant title. Being a Trench variant, the Carcano M91 Carbine does not contain the Aperture Sight and can use Radium Sights like Infantry rifles and has its improved hipfire/lower recoil increase; the aim down sight while moving spread and spread decrease is identical to Infantry variants.
The Carcano M91 Patrol Carbine added in the Weapon Crate update of May 7 2018 features a mid-power scope and improved accuracy when moving.
The Carcano M91 Carbine can be considered a mixture of the Russian 1895 and Gewehr M.95.
It has a similar damage profile like the Russian 1895 Trench: Starting off rather high and decreasing till its in the mid range damage. One of the main advantages of the Carcano when compared to the 1895 is that it will two shots kill regardless of range (the 1895 loses its two shots kill potential at 70 meters), has a higher bullet velocity (700 m/s vs 580 m/s of the 1895s) making shots at range require less leading at range and one shots kills are farther at range (110 meters vs 56 meters for the 1895 for when they stop being one shot kill to the head). The 1895 has an advantage by having a higher rate of fire (51 RPM higher), which can make quicker damage per second, engaging multiple enemy players or make missing a shot more forgiving.
- 2-5 rounds: The player ejects the entire en-bloc clip and replaces it with a new one.
- 1 round: The player ejects the remaining round and performs an empty reload. (at this point, the en-bloc clip had already dropped out of the gun)
- Empty: The player loads in a new en-bloc clip.
In addition, becauses the weapon uses en-bloc clips, switching to the K Bullet shows the player character removing the en-bloc clip and inserting a K bullet round directly into the chamber of the gun. Switching back from the K Bullet to the primary weapon shows the player character ejecting the K bullet and loading a new full en-bloc clip of normal ammo into the gun, meaning that it does not eject a round during this process and instead tops off the magazine, unlike other bolt-action rifles.
- The Carcano 1891 rifle was cut from the initial release of Battlefield 1. The weapon's only appearance was in the game's reveal trailer. It can briefly be seen in the hands of Italian soldiers just before they get killed by Austro-Hungarian Sentry. Its incomplete design made identification difficult, as it resembled none of the known weapons.
- Like the Automatico M1918 and Vetterli-Vitali M1870/87 Carbine variant, the bayonet will be folded if the user decides to opt out of a bayonet.
- When performing a reload with 5 to 2 rounds remaining, the amount of rounds in the ejected clip corresponds to the amount of rounds that were in the magazine (this is in contrast with the Gewehr M.95, which always shows a full en-bloc clip being ejected). This does not change any gameplay statistics and is purely visual.
- When earning a service star with the Carcano M91, it will say Carcano M91 Carbine Trench. This is because the weapon statistically is a trench variant similar to the Russian 1895 Trench. With the Carcano M91 Carbine beings its in-game name.