|Operation Guillotine ← → Thunder Run |
November 13, 2014
Neutralize Nuclear Threat:
Comrades is the sixth mission in the single-player campaign of Battlefield 3. The player takes on the role of Dimitri Mayakovsky for the first time. The mission is set in the EURONEXT stock exchange in Paris, France.
Entering the Stock Exchange
Three GRU operatives begin by infiltrating the PLR staging area for the gas attack, the EURONEXT Paris Stock Exchange. The trio - Dima, Kiril, and Vladimir - make their way through the parking garage of the building, but the pretense of stealth quickly vanishes and they begin engaging the PLR hostiles directly.
Once inside, the agents move and clear various offices and rooms, killing all of the PLR enemies to be found. As they move, they try to stay within range of Dima's jammer, which would prevent the nuclear weapon from detonating. However, as they find the bomb carrier on the basement area, the man flees, and subsequently begins the gas attack, prompting the GRU agents (and any PLR operatives remaining) to put on the gas masks they had brought along. The gas begins to seep in through the walls, and very quickly, kills anybody who does not have a gas mask. Such is the case that dead civilians found everywhere the building were the ones trapped in the gas attack, as hinted by Vladimir.
Chase on the building
The GRU agents continue to move and pursue the bomb carrier from the different areas of the building, with the chase starting from the gas attack, to different office rooms, and up the main control room up to the main entrance.
Chase on the streets
When they come across a PLR assault on the police who had taken up a position outside the Stock Exchange, initially the GRU agents wait, believing the police would drive the carrier back towards them. However, as Dima attempts to apprehend the carrier, he turns again and successfully darts through the police blockade, leaving the GRU agents and the remaining PLR operatives to contend with the Gendarmerie. Dima and the others attempt to move quickly through the wreckage and abandoned cars where the police are taking cover. They engage and kill any of the police who stand in their way, including several GIGN officers who arrive on scene to assist the police officers on scene.
As the GRU agents come near to catching the operative, whom had taken off down a small alley, an RPG streaks by, nearly striking Dima and Kiril, and destroys a bus behind the two. Vladimir is stuck by a large piece of shrapnel and from the blast itself which impales him through the chest. As he dies, Dima moves Vladimir to rest up against a wall, and then continues with Kiril, although he is temporarily shell-shocked from the RPG explosion.
Dima and Kiril keep moving after the bomb carrier, killing anybody who gets in their way, even as the PLR and Gendarmerie trade fire in the streets. Finally, Dima manages to catch up to the carrier. After a melee fight, Dima kills the operative by tossing his body onto the nearby metro tracks, causing him to be run over by an oncoming train. Dima and Kiril then open the duffel bag the nuclear weapon was supposed to be in, only to find it was a ruse. After several seconds, the real nuclear weapon detonates some distance away at the EURONEXT exchange.
Related achievements and trophies
The following achievements/trophies can be completed on this mission.
|The Professional||Completed the street chase in Comrades in under 2 minutes 30 seconds without dying||30 G||Bronze|
|This is the end||Failed to prevent the attack||20 G||Bronze|
- In an unintended coincidence, as Battlefield 3 was made four years before the real life event, Comrades takes place on November 13, 2014 in Paris, a year separated from the date of the real-life November 2015 Paris attacks. As a result, the coincidence became a huge Internet hoax due to Reddit, despite the fact that neither event shares anything in common aside from their dates and location.
- Comrades was originally going to be called "The Longest Hour" as seen by the Battlelog Alpha's Campaign section.
- Kiril will always hold an AS Val, even when during the chase sequence.
- The chase sequence with the carrier melodramatically changes upon Vladimir's death; first with the slow heartbeat, and medical music cue playing on background, some movements are displayed slowly, and enemies will automatically die upon getting close to them.
- Two of the Quick Time Events in this mission are not mandatory as compared to the others; even if you fail the Quick Time Events in the bank, the player will not be hurt or die, but instead, Vladimir will be the one performing the action upon the player's failure.
- This is the only level in Battlefield 3 to feature a fight between two different enemy factions.
- In the Russian version, this mission is called "Братья по оружию" ("Brothers in Arms") as opposed to "Товарищи" (lit. Comrades).
- Some posters around the mission have "EAZY" written on them. This is also featured in Operation Metro and is a reference to Easy Studios.
- If the chase sequence is completed in 2 minutes and 30 seconds without dying (any difficulty), the The Professional achievement/trophy is earned. The chase sequence starts after the Gendarmerie start firing at you and ends when the heartbeat and medical music stops after Vladimir's death.
- Strangely, The PLR operatives on this level sometimes yell "Amrikaiha-ye la'massab (Persian: آمریکاییها لامذهب) (God damn Americans)" while their enemies are actually Russian.
- This is the most destructible level of the campaign. It has the most destructive parts by the use of small arms (rifles, and grenades). Hence, large portions like cars, columns, scripted explosions, glasses, machines, and cubicles are available for destruction without the use of rocket launchers.
- At the start of the mission, the player can jump over the white van without cutting the cable. If this is done, Kiril and Vladimir will follow the player but the map will only load up to the Stock Exchange room, forcing the player to restart to complete the mission.
- Sometimes during the chase sequence, if the player runs through fast enough ignoring all enemies and leaving Vladimir and Kiril far behind; during the scene where Vladimir is impaled, the player will notice that Vladimir is missing with the bloodied shrapnel floating through the air. Dima and Kiril then drag an invisible body over to the wall where they are meant to drag Vladimir, who in this case is invisible.
- At the point where you are at the main entrance of the bank (just before getting outside), an explosion will cause the glass ceiling to fall down, if the player goes to the center part, Dima will appear to be hit, but actually, does not get any damage or injuries.
- After the player takes off his mask at the entrance, he/she can run back inside and take no damage and not die from the gas.
- Dima may cut the wire with the stock of his rifle instead of his Machete.
- It is possible to shoot the bomb carrier before the final Quick Time Event, but he only may recoil from the shots, and never die.
- Another glitch can occur where Kiril will be invisible when opening the bomb container, the case will still open, and Kiril will still be talking.
- There is a glitch where the player cannot see Kiril or Vladimir in the car scene.
- Another glitch can occur when the player first enters the car park to cut the wires. It is possible to fall out of the map.
- Sometimes if you run at the end of the chase behind Kiril and the bomb-carrier the map doesn't load quickly enough, so you can outrun the bomb-carrier because he stands still (you can't kill him). If this happens and you wait for the map to load completely, you can run up the stairs to the train station, turn back and you can swim two meters over the street up to another level that is about two meters above the stairs you ran down before.
- It is possible to climb on top of the white van directly after the player gets out of the SUV. Once on top, the player can jump over the fence and explore Paris without penalty or boundary. However, it becomes impossible to return to the objective area.
- Interestingly, the escaping PLR operatives after exiting the EURONEXT building (including the nuke carrier) can actually be shot by French forces before the final scripted event.
- The French forces do not have the ability to melee the player.