France, officially the French Republic (French: République française), is a developed country in western Europe. Paris is the capital of France.
In the late eighteenth century, the monarchy and associated institutions were overthrown in the French Revolution, which forever changed France's history. The country was governed for a period as a Republic until the French Empire was declared by Napoleon Bonaparte. Following Napoleon's defeat in the Napoleonic Wars, France went through several further regime changes; being ruled as a monarchy, then briefly as a Second Republic, and then as a Second Empire, until a more lasting French Third Republic was established in 1870.
France was one of the Allied Powers in World War II, but was conquered by Nazi Germany within two months. The Third Republic was dismantled, and most of the country was controlled directly by the Axis Powers while the south was controlled by the collaborationist Vichy government.
- The Free French Forces (FFF) were a group of French fighters who fought alongside the Allies during World War II, after the capture of France by Germany. They appear in expansion pack Battlefield 1942: The Road To Rome.
- The Groupe d'Intervention de la Gendarmerie Nationale (English: National Gendarmerie Intervention Group) is a special operations unit of the French Armed Forces. They are trained to perform counter-terrorist and hostage rescue missions in France or anywhere else in the world. They appear in Battlefield 3.
- The Police Nationale is the principal civil law enforcement agency of France, and has jurisdiction over large towns and cities.
- The European Union (EU) is an economic and political union of 27 member states which are located primarily in Europe. They appear in Battlefield 2: Euro Force, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, and Battlefield 2142.
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization, or NATO, is an intergovernmental military alliance based on the North Atlantic Treaty which was signed on April 4, 1949. The organization constitutes a system of collective defense whereby its member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party. They appear in the singleplayer of Battlefield 2: Modern Combat.
The French Gendarmerie (Military Law Enforcement Agency) and the Police Nationale (National Police, Civil Law Enforcement Agency) appear as a non-playable factions during the mission Comrades, where they engage both PLR operatives as well as Dimitri Mayakovsky and the other GRU agents attempting to track down the carrier of the nuclear weapon.
In Co-op, the GIGN and Police Nationale appear during the missions involving Paris. However, they are allies rather than enemies, and mostly serve only as extras. In The Eleventh Hour, they appear, storming the Stock Exchange. Most of them are killed as soon as they enter the building or by an exploding van near the entrance.
In Battlefield 1, several maps in multiplayer as set within the country of France, such as Amiens, Forest of Argonne and St. Quentin Scar. On these base game maps, the British and American armies fight to liberate these areas from the German Empire.
The They Shall Not Pass expansion pack for the game is set to introduce the French Army as a playable multiplayer faction.