A Grappling Hook is a device with multiple hooks attached to a rope; it is thrown, dropped, sunk, projected, or fastened directly by hand to where at least one hook may catch and hold. Generally, grappling hooks are used to temporarily secure one end of a rope.
A line launcher may be used to project the grappling hook via pneumatic action. Such a device may resemble a pistol with stock, a rifle, or a mortar, depending on requirements.
— In-game description
Grappling Hooks are a gadget featured in the Battlefield 2: Special Forces expansion.
They can also be used to descend buildings that are too low for the parachute to deploy properly, but where the height can still cause fall damage. When standing near a ledge, the can be used to just drop the rope from the ledge.
The throwing mechanism of grappling hooks is identical to the mechanism used for hand grenades, with launching a hook at full force, whereas allows the user to vary the force of the throw. It is also possible to use the grappling hook to jump between buildings, as long as they are close enough.
— In-Game Description
The Grappling Hook launcher must be aimed down the sight to be fired. When aiming, the reticle will show a crossed-out circle if there is no valid target, but will change to a small dot if a ledge is is within range. Firing will then attach a hook to the ledge, and a rope will be deployed to climb on. Valid ledges will appear highlighted in blue.
The rope will be destroyed if it is shot or hit by a melee weapon. Only one line can be placed at a time by each player, so firing a second line will remove the first. Also, if the player who placed the grappling hook presseson the hook itself, it will be picked up and added back into the player's reserve ammunition.
When standing atop a ledge, the launcher can be aimed at the edge and fired, causing it to deploy a rope down from the player's position to the ground.
|Image||Name||Criteria||Achievement Points||Trophy Type|
|Cape and Ears Not Included||Climb a total of 10 meters with the Grappling Hook in Singleplayer||25G||Bronze|
The subject of this section is a recent or unreleased addition to a Battlefield game. It may contain speculation or errors.
Have new, relevant information to add? Why not improve this section?
The Grappling Hook is a gadget that will be added with the Battlefield 1: Turning Tides expansion.
It is currently listed as a melee weapon. As it is not yet available to players, it is not known if it can be used as a mobility gadget as in other titles.
- The player can pick up the grappling hook while other players are using it to climb. While useful when an enemy is using it, one should be careful not to pick up friendly hooks.
- As with the crossbow zipline, players cannot kill anyone with a grappling hook. Slinging it directly at someone does no damage whatsoever. Removing a line while someone is climbing that results in a fatal fall does not count as a kill, granting the killed player a suicide instead.
- The model of grappling hook line launcher used most closely resembles the ResQmax ALM. Modifications include an altered barrel housing, external gas canister, and special reflex sight.
- ↑ When picked up from Khai's arsenal in Gator Bait, it has more starting reserve ammo than the normal max amount.
- ↑ All you Need to Know about the Battlefield 1 Turning Tides Release - Battlefield.com