Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Iran (Persian: ایران), officially the Islamic Republic of Iran (Persian: جمهوری اسلامی ایران Jomhuri-ye Eslāmi-ye Irān) is a country located in the Middle East, in between Iraq and Afghanistan. The capital, Tehran, is the largest city in the Middle East.
Iran has a vast history, dating back to pre-historic times. At one point in time, Iran (which was known as Persia at the time) spanned from the western border of Egypt to the western border of India. In 1953, British and American intelligence agencies conspired to topple the democratically elected Prime Minister Mossadegh, installing in his place Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. Backed by the West, Pahlavi was brutally repressive toward the people of Iran. In 1979 a popular, student-led uprising ousted Pahlavi and placed Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in power. This ended the Pahlavi dynasty and monarchism in Iran, and instilled a new form of government that mixed theocracy with the laws of a modern republic.
Armed ForcesEditIslamic Republic of Iran Army (Persian: ارتش جمهوری اسلامی ایران) is the main ground force of the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran. In Iran, it is also called ارتش (Artesh), which is Persian for "army." They appear in Battlefield 3 working with the People's Liberation and Resistance.
Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) (Persian: نیروی هوایی ارتش جمهوری اسلامی ایران) is the aviation branch of the Iranian armed forces. The IRIAF operate many aircraft, many of which are American-made (such as the famous F-14 Tomcat jet fighter or the CH-47 Chinook transport helicopter). They appear in Battlefield 3 fighting against US Navy aircraft.
Iran is the primary setting for the singleplayer campaign of Battlefield 3, where the government of Iran has been overthrown by an insurgency known as the People's Liberation and Resistance, led by Faruk Al-Bashir. The US invades Iran with over fifty-thousand Marines to combat the PLR, starting with air strikes over Tehran, one of which was aimed to try and kill Al-Bashir at Mehrabad Airport. However, Al-Bashir survived, so the Marines attempt to capture the many districts of Tehran, capturing key institutions to secure intelligence about the PLR. One in particular was the Metropolitan Bank headquarters, where Misfit 1-3 discovered that Al-Bashir, and his aide Solomon, had secured three Russian portable nuclear bombs, two of which were not found. A US Marine strike team later captured Al-Bashir, albeit he was heavily wounded due to a failed getaway via car. The Marines attempted CASEVAC, but Al-Bashir succumbed to his injuries, dying inside the extraction aircraft. By this time, the US Marines had secured the majority of Tehran, and were close to victory.
Almost all of the maps in Battlefield 3's multiplayer are set within Iran:
- Alborz Mountains - Alborz mountain range, northern Iran
- Azadi Palace - Parliament building, Tehran, Iran
- Bandar Desert - Near Bandar-e Abbas, southern Iran
- Caspian Border - Turkmen-Iranian Border
- Damavand Peak - Mount Damavand, Iran
- Death Valley - Turkmen-Iranian Border
- Donya Fortress - Pre-revolution fortress/palace, Tehran, Iran
- Epicenter - Northern Tehran, Iran
- Grand Bazaar - Grand Bazaar, Tehran, Iran
- Gulf of Oman - northwest of Bandar-e Jask, southern Iran
- Kiasar Railroad - Kiasar, Iran
- Kharg Island - Kharg Island, Iran
- Markaz Monolith - Area in northwest Tehran, Iran
- Nebandan Flats - Nehbandan, Iran
- Noshahr Canals - Noshahr, Iran
- Operation Firestorm - Azadegan Oil Field, southwest Iran
- Operation Riverside - Northern Iran
- Operation 925 - Commercial building, Tehran, Iran
- Sabalan Pipeline - Mt. Sabalan, northwest Iran
- Scrapmetal - Abandoned factory, near Tehran, Iran
- Talah Market - Market area, Yazd , Iran
- Tehran Highway - Tehran, Iran
- Ziba Tower - Luxury resort, Tehran, Iran