The Arctic Warfare rifle, designated L96A1 by the British military, is a bolt-action Sniper Rifle created by the British company Accuracy International and fielded by several militaries worldwide. The rof;e is named due to being designed with features to improve performance in cold weather conditions, while not impairing its abilities in normal environments. The AW rifle has several derivatives, including the AWM magnum variant and the AWS suppressed variant.
The L96A1 is a weapon featured in the Battlefield 2: Euro Force expansion and is the default sniper rifle for the European Union. Its spread values are identical to, with the exception of the M24, rifles of the same class, with a zoomed spread of 0.05 and spread increase of 3.5 per round. The weapon's rate of fire, damage, and magazine size are identical to the M24 and is always capable of killing in two direct hits, at a maximum, with a minimum of one headshot for an instant kill.
The L96A1 is a weapon featured in Battlefield Play4Free and is available for purchase at level 24. It features a large magazine, medium damage, fast reload and the highest rate of fire amongst bolt-action sniper rifles, with a very fast bolt cycle.
The L96 is a weapon introduced in the Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand expansion and is unlocked upon the completion of the Creeping Death assignment. It was first seen in the Strike at Karkand Gameplay Trailer.
Compared to the SV98 the L96's rounds have a higher velocity which causes bullets to drop less over longer ranges giving it a similar drop pattern to the JNG-90. The L96 also has the third fastest velocity out of all bolt action sniper rifles at 540 meters per second. Despite only minor differences, the JNG-90 is considered superior because it has a slightly higher velocity at 560 m/s, slightly slower reload at 2.5 seconds and a slightly higher rate of fire of 46.2 rounds per minute.
The L96 was originally the only bolt-action sniper rifle that could mount a Flash Suppressor. When the Flash Suppressor was equipped onto the L96, the accuracy of the weapon, aimed or otherwise, was not affected at all whereas other weapons with a flash suppressor did suffer an accuracy loss. After the 3/27/12 patch, however, the flash suppressor no longer reduces aimed accuracy on any weapon.
An update changed the damage and chest multiplier to 1.25 for the L96. With 80 damage at close range it will kill in one shot to the chest or at any range in hardcore.
Before the June 4th 2012 patch, the point of aim on the L96 was vertically offset (with the possible exception of some rifle scopes) due to a bug. This caused shots to be fired from a point above the center of the sight the player was using, throwing off skewing aim. The iron sights are now aligned with the top of the post but not with the dot on the post.
- Main article: L115
The L96A1 was introduced in the Battlefield 4: China Rising expansion. It was later renamed to the L115, however, with the release of the Night Operations expansion to acknowledge that the weapon was modeled after the AWM instead of the similar L96A1. The AWM featured in Battlefield Hardline uses the same model as the L115 in Battlefield 4, which caused further reason to rename the weapon.
- The L96A1 in Battlefield Play4Free, Battlefield 3, and Battlefield 4 are all modeled after the Arctic Warfare Magnum rifle instead of the actual L96, denoted by the fluted barrel and folding stock present on the models. Battlefield Hardline reused the L96A1's model from Battlefield 4 for the AWM, but is the first game in the series to properly name the weapon.
- None of the DLC sniper rifles have attached scopes on their respective proficiency dog tag, including the L96A1.
- In Battlefield 4, the L96A1 and the China Rising expansion's other weapons were accidentally released early for PC players as part of the platform's first client patch.
- Along with the other weapons of the first three expansions for Battlefield 4, the L96A1 actually has an in-game description, but it can only be viewed when the weapon is unlocked at the end of a round or if it is equipped in a gadget slot using external tools.
- The L96A1 reuses its description from Battlefield 3.
- As of September 1st, 2015, the L96A1 has been renamed to its proper designation of L115.