The M203 is a single-shot, 40mm grenade launcher that can be attached to many rifles via barrel mounts or Picatinny rails, but was originally designed for the U.S. M16 family of Rifles, which includes the M4 Carbine.
|M203 Underbarrel Grenade Launcher|
Battlefield 2: Modern CombatEdit
Used as an attachment to both the M4 Carbine and the L85A2 in Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. It shoots a 40mm grenade out of a tube located on the bottom of the barrel of a gun. On impact creates an explosion that can kill an enemy or destroy a vehicle.
Battlefield: Bad CompanyEdit
In Battlefield: Bad Company, all assault rifles are equipped with a grenade launcher that shoots 40mm grenades. They can be effective and deadly in singleplayer, but in multiplayer, they can be difficult to actually achieve a kill with as even a direct hit will only severely damage an enemy.
Grenade launchers are very effective for destroying objects, anything from sheet metal fences to concrete walls, but they are very ineffective against heavily armored vehicles. A player is always required to pull out the leaf sights for the grenade launcher to fire the weapon.
Besides its appearance in the game itself, it also appeared in the joke trailer Snake Eyes, where Private George Gordon Haggard, Jr. borrowed it (attached to an M416 assault rifle) from Private Preston Marlowe to destroy a barrel that held an anonymous soldier wearing an eyepatch, when Private Terrence Sweetwater informed them of this.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2Edit
In multiplayer, they act similarly to the original Battlefield: Bad Company, only that it has an increased damage making it much more effective. It is also unlocked as soon as a player begins playing multiplayer. It can be replaced by a 40mm smoke grenade launcher or a 40mm shotgun. Its damage and blast radius can be increased by the Improved Demolitions Specialization.
In Battlefield: Play4Free, the M203 makes an appearance which was only attached on the M16A2 during Closed Beta and Early Open Beta. However, it didn't have functionality and it only served as a cosmetic item.
The M203 was then later removed to prepare for Weapons Customization update.
- The 40mm grenade launcher in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 counts as a separate weapon from the rifle it is attached to. Its skill level can be upgraded separately.
- A good strategy for the Attackers in Rush is to bombard the M-COM building's walls with the 40mm, causing the building to collapse and destroy the M-COM Station.
- The grenade launcher is commonly referred to as the "Noob Tube" by online players because it has a history of being relatively easy for players to get kills while requiring little skill to aim in other FPS games. However, in Battlefield: Bad Company the grenade launcher is reasonably hard to gain a kill with. This is not the case in Battlefield: Bad Company 2, as kills can even be attained through walls by destroying them. Also, the Improved Demolitions Specialization can increase its power even more so.
- In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the M203 is the only under-barrel grenade launcher that cannot be found in singleplayer.
- In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the first and third-person reload animations of the M203 are different. In third-person, the player aligns the gun and shakes it to make the round fall off, then they put in a new round. In first-person, the player just puts in a new round.
- In Battlefield 3 the M203 is seen on certain dogtags for getting kills with the 40mm Grenade Launcher and the M416 mastery and proficency dog tags.