50 - 37.5
20 + 1 rounds
84 + 21 rounds
147 + 21 rounds
1.85 seconds loaded
|Rate of fire||
|First shot recoil multiplier||
|Recoil decrease per second||
Standing: 3 static; 4.5 moving
|Spread increase per round||
|Spread decrease per second||
|Source of statistics|
|Battlefield 3 M417 Wiki Video(01:58)|
In the Battlefield 3: Close Quarters' DLC, the M417 is issued to the Recon Kit. It was shown to the public in the "Close Quarters Donya Fortress Gameplay Trailer" through the killfeed, as well as being seen in third person fitted with a Holographic Sight and a Suppressor. Due to its background and magazine size, it can be considered a NATO-themed equivalent to the SKS, but with higher damage and higher recoil. The M417 is more suitable for medium to close range engagements than the traditional range of sniper rifles, killing in 2-3 shots at mid-range. At longer ranges the rifle can be used to some effect for suppression or killing a wounded enemy, but its slightly lower accuracy and bullet velocity compared to other sniper rifles makes it suited for close quarters engagements.
To obtain the M417, players must complete the Team Player assignment. The requirements for this assignment are:
- 10 T-UGS assists
- Capture 20 flags
- Unlike the M416 and M27 IAR, it uses same foldable ironsights as the P90, Mk11 Mod 0, DAO-12, and M40A5.
- In the Gun Master gamemode from the Close Quarters DLC, the M417 is equipped with a Flash Suppressor, an attachment that can be equipped to the weapon in multiplayer only by DICE developers.
- If equipped while running, the M417 will be held with just a hand on the pistol grip. The other hand isn't seen on the handle or on the Foregrip. A similar thing occurs with the SG553.
- It has a slightly different stock than that of the M27 IAR and M416; it uses the current-gen HK stock.
- Like the M27 IAR, M416, and Mk11 Mod 0 it has an incorrectly solid charging handle.
- In the Battlefield 3 Aftermath DLC, the XBOW appears to be a crossbow made out of a non working M417 with parts that can be found around damaged cars in the maps.
- It shares the same reload animations as the M16, M416, and M27 IAR
- Despite the Battlelog render portraying it with a matte black finish, in-game the M417 appears to have a desert camouflage finish applied.
- The QBU-88, L96, JNG-90, and M417 are the only sniper rifles not to have scopes attached on their respective proficiency dogtag.
- The magazine model in-game appears to be steel, like the G3 magazines. In reality, the magazine would be made of translucent polymer, like the G36's.