Its design is largely based upon several Axis-used weapons, specifically the FG42—to whom the M60's early prototypes bore a significant resemblance to, and with which the modern weapon still shares the stock design—and to a lesser extent, the MG42.
It has a 100-round capacity, high standing or crouching recoil, medium damage, high rate of fire and low accuracy. Prone decreases most of the drawbacks of this weapon, especially its recoil. It is the counterpart to the North Vietnamese RPD.
These M60s have unlimited ammunition and otherwise have the same characteristics of the M60s mounted in vehicles. They tend to be near American and South Vietnamese bases, though some are scattered about.
The M60 is also mounted on several American and South Vietnamese vehicles, these being the PBR, the Huey and the ACH-47 Chinook. It still has the same kind of performance damage- and accuracy-wise, though it has an overheat limit, a 400- to 500-round belt that never needs to be reloaded, and, since being mounted, has no recoil.
Battlefield: Bad CompanyEdit
The M60 is a machine gun featured in Battlefield: Bad Company as one of the "Find all Five!" weapons for the Support kit. While players originally needed to subscribe to the Battlefield Newsletter to obtain it, DICE later released a free code for the weapon,
The M60 has 150 rounds in a full belt with 300 rounds in reserve. It has a slower rate of fire than other LMGs, which will give it a disadvantage at closer ranges, but this is made up for by its high accuracy and damage.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2Edit
The M60 LMG is a weapon featured in Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
A variant with a 4X Rifle Scope can be found to the south of the bottom of the lighthouse in Sangre Del Toro, and by a destroyed wall on the last slope before the player faces the two Havocs at station C. Both variants of the M60 are collectibles.
The M60 is the 4th light machine gun issued to the Medic kit requiring 25,000 points. It has a belt length of 100 rounds and has the highest damage per shot of the LMGs, equal to that of the PKM after multiple patches.
As with the other light machineguns (and the G3), the M60's recoil decreases with each successive shot, making recoil easier to control allowing for better accuracy but not effecting the weapons natural spread and deviation.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2: VietnamEdit
Its appearance, like all other Vietnam weapons, is more battle-worn than that of the base game's. It has stats similar to its base game counterpart, except in terms of damage, but the iron sights are cleaner and less obstructive, most likely to balance out the lack of attached sights available to the player.
The M60 is also mounted on UH-1 Iroquois helicopters for use by passengers. The only difference between the M60 on the UH-1 and the Medic's M60 (other than ammo count and overheating) are the rear aperture sights, the UH-1's having a circle (although it is unusable) and the Medic's having a vertical rectangle.
Among its rusted and battered appearance, the M60 also boasts woodland camouflage and is one of only two weapons in Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam to use camouflage, the other being the M79.
The M60 is a weapon featured in Battlefield Play4Free, issued to the Medic kit. It has a slow rate of fire, considerably high damage, moderate recoil and moderate accuracy. It boasts an 80-round belt with 80 rounds in reserve. Compared to its closest counterpart, the PKM, the M60 has a higher damage but is slightly less accurate.
The M60E4 is a weapon featured in Battlefield 3.
The M60E4 can be found in the mission Kaffarov on the dead bodies of Kaffarov's security guards. Its low rate of fire makes it useful against the NPCs at longer ranges, but the recoil of the weapon makes aiming difficult.
The M60E4 is the next-to-last unlock in the Support class, requiring 130,000 points to unlock. The M60 has the lowest rate of fire of all the Machine Guns and a moderate recoil profile; its damage is identical to the 7.62mm machineguns, the PKP Pecheneg and M240, yet its traits make it a kind of middle-ground between the other 7.62mm machineguns and the 5.45mm/5.56mm light machineguns—higher damage yield than the light machineguns, yet lower kick than the heavier machineguns.
The M60-ULT (M60 Ultimate) is a special Battle Pickup version of the M60E4 that appears on Operation Outbreak in a crashed UH-1Y Venom near the Ghost Town in Conquest and Obliteration. This version of M60 has a 150 round magazine with no ammo in reserve, fires explosive rounds, and can only be fired from the hip. Aesthetically, the M60-ULT has two small shields mounted on either side of the foreguard and the Bad Company "Smiley" grenade is on both shields and the ammo pouch.
While the M60-ULT is unable to use its sights, it has very tight hipfire, much more so than the normal M60E4. With its high damage and good accuracy, the weapon can perform well in close and medium ranges. Its explosive rounds also allow it to work well against groups of enemies and makes it very effective at suppressing enemies. It posses a large magazine size of 150 rounds, but the player receives no extra magazines and, like all Battle Pickups, the M60-ULT cannot be resupplied. The weapon is also capable of damaging any vehicle that the 50. Cal is able to, allowing it attack jeeps and Transport Helicopters. The M60-ULT primarily struggles at long ranges, as its inability to aim and damage drop off makes it difficult to use effectively in these engagements.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2Edit
- When Sweetwater is firing the M60 during the campaign of Battlefield: Bad Company 2, it has the same firing sound as the PKM.
- When Bad Company 2 was first released, the M60 did 25-20 damage. Amidst complaints and balance issues, it was reduced to 20-16.7. Amidst more balancing issues, it was finally reduced to 16.7-14.3, the same as the PKM. This effectively means the PKM is now more powerful as it has the same damage and a higher rate of fire, but the M60 is still more accurate.
- In Battlefield Play4Free, the Veteran M60 and Elite M60 were originally separate variations of the default M60, different firing rates and values. Like most other Veteran and Elite weapons, they were later made into skins, only differing aesthetically.
- In Battlefield 3, the M60E4 has both a bipod and a foregrip attached in its Proficiency Dog Tag, a combination that is not possible in multiplayer.
- In the Battlefield 4 China Rising Trailer, the gunner on the motorcycle is using the M60 yet the weapon was not available for use at the time.
- Along with the other weapons of the first three expansions for Battlefield 4, the M60E4 actually has an in-game description, but it can only be viewed when the weapon is unlocked at the end of a round or if it is equipped in a gadget slot using external tools.
- The M60 resuses its description from Battlefield 3.
- The M60-ULT has "Adios!" written on the back half of the belt cover, in reference to the film Aliens, where Pvt. Vasquez's M45 Smart Gun, a massive hip-fired weapon similar to the M60-ULT, has the same phrase written on it.
- The Bad Company Grenade's presence on the weapon pays homage to the Bad Company series games, as well as referencing the fact the rounds are explosive.
- The M60-ULT's inability to aim down sight is a reference to John Rambo in his titular film series, where he often fires machine guns, famously including the M60, from the hip. Community Operations also features several other references to Rambo's First Blood franchise.