The Steyr M1912, also known as the M.12, is a semi-automatic pistol, chambered in 9mm Steyr, and developed by Austrian firm Steyr Mannlicher for the Austro-Hungarian army, who adopted it in 1912. During World War I, the weapon was supplied to the professional units of the Austrian Landwehr while older designs were issued to the conscripted Common Army. In the same period, orders for the M1912 were fulfilled for Imperial Germany, in addition to Romania and Chile. Its use continued in World War II, where pistols in 9mm Luger were produced for the Wehrmacht after Austria's annexation.
The weapon possesses a fixed magazine in the grip, which is fed from the top using 8-round stripper clips. The M1912 performed admirably during World War I, where its robust operating system proved resilient to the adverse conditions of the trenches.
A select-fire machine pistol variant of the weapon was produced during the First World War, known as the M.12/P.16, and comes with an extended 16-round magazine and is often fitted with a shoulder stock.
— In-game description
The Repetierpistole M1912 is a weapon featured in Battlefield 1.
The pistol is somewhat unique due to its fixed magazine, permitting reloading only using a stripper clip. For a non-empty reload, the remaining rounds must first be ejected (the player does not lose the bullets emptied in this manner) before a fresh clip is inserted. This makes the M1912 one of the only sidearms to reload faster when completely empty.
This weapon encourages a relatively unusual playstyle among pistols. It has an identical rate of fire and magazine capacity to the Mle 1903, but less damage falloff. This makes the weapon unusually suitable for finishing off enemies at a healthy distance, assuming they are already damaged. Furthermore, its lack of a removable magazine encourages always emptying the magazine before reloading - even if it is not necessary. As an example, if there are less than 4 shots in the magazine it is much quicker to fire them off and reload than go through the mid-magazine reload sequence. Besides that, the M1912 is a very reliable weapon.
— In-game description
It features a high rate of fire, comparable to the Frommer Stop Auto. It reloads using the same 8-round stripper clips as the pistol variant, but with double the capacity. Rounds remaining in the magazine are no longer ejected at the start of a reload, and the gun can also be reloaded with individual rounds instead of just stripper clips.
- Repetierpistole means "repeating pistol" in German, and Maschinenpistole means "machine pistol" in German.
- The number of rounds that flies out of the gun during the non-empty reload corresponds to the actual number of remaining rounds inside the gun.
- The Maschinenpistole M1912/P.16 is the only weapon not used by the Scout class that can have the Radium Sight equipped in lieu of the standard iron sights.
- The Maschinenpistole M1912/P.16 originally had a 1200 RPM fire rate, but the in-game menus reported it as 900 RPM. The fire rate was lowered to the correct level in the January 2018 Update.
- The empty reload of the Maschinenpistole M1912/P.16 loads in two 8-round stripper clips with different animations, making the empty reload technically a unique reload animation.